Sign Up To Get Down
Voices at Penn
iLL Days Past
- August 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (1)
- August 2014 (1)
- June 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (1)
- August 2013 (1)
- June 2013 (2)
- January 2013 (1)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (2)
- August 2012 (2)
- July 2012 (5)
- June 2012 (1)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (1)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (6)
- October 2011 (10)
- September 2011 (5)
- August 2011 (2)
- July 2011 (2)
- June 2011 (5)
- May 2011 (4)
- April 2011 (8)
- March 2011 (2)
- February 2011 (8)
- January 2011 (6)
- December 2010 (3)
- November 2010 (5)
- October 2010 (9)
- September 2010 (10)
- August 2010 (6)
- July 2010 (14)
- June 2010 (29)
- May 2010 (1)
- Back to School Shopping Made Easy…2 Tips that Will Save You Time and MoneyThis post is brought to you by Office Depot. All opinions are my own. “Relax…I’ve got this all under control. I’ve been a mom for 24 years. I know what I’m doing.” That’s what I told our 10-year-old daughter last week during her melt-down (she is going to be a sixth grader in middle school […]
- These 4 Traits Can Turn Your Child Into a Money MastermindYou want the best for your children. So what can you do to ensure they become adults who are happy and prosperous, rather than ones who are stressed out, living paycheck to paycheck? Teaching them about saving, debt, and compound interest is a good start; but instilling them with the right attitudes and mindsets is […]
- Benefits or Backbone? 4 Reasons to Stop Wasting Time in a Bad RelationshipBy: Ankunda Carrolyn Growing up as a Non-Christian, all I ever wanted was a man who could love me, spoil me with gifts, provide for me, and take care of me (which isn’t bad, by the way). My spiritual eyes had not been opened yet to the importance of marrying a spiritual man. I later […]
- Too Comfortable? 5 Ways to Breathe Life into Your Dull MarriageBy: Dr. George James Has your relationship lost its spark? Maybe you and your partner have become too comfortable with each other and you don’t make the effort anymore. The good thing is that this is a normal phase in every relationship. The bad thing is, if you allow your relationship to get stuck in […]
- Marriage and Money: 4 Easy Steps to Financial Closeness with Your SpouseThis is part of a sponsored campaign with Wells Fargo. All opinions are my own. Recently, I had such a wonderful time sitting on BMWK’s Financial Intimacy panel sponsored by Wells Fargo. Founders of BMWK, Ronnie and Lamar Tyler, strategically positioned this discussion as the kick-off event to their 3rd annual BMWK Marriage Cruise—to make […]
- My Husband’s Sick Mom is Destroying Our Marriage. What Should I Do?Dear Dr. Buckingham, My husband and I have been married for five years. Recently, I left our home that we have shared for the last seven years. His mother is living there now that she is ill, but she has been saying hurtful things to me which caused me to leave for the last month. […]
- It Takes a Squad: 3 Types of Friends Every Woman Needs to Hold Her Down When She’s DatingHave you seen the movie, Girls’ Trip? Theaters around the country were smelling like cocoa butter and coconut oil because the “Sistas” showed up and showed out, making this film a box office success! Maybe we were so excited to finally have a celebration of #BlackGirlMagic and our friendships on the big screen (We haven’t […]
- 3 Ways to Fight for Your Marriage (and Win) After an AffairAffairs are messy. I’m not trying to be glib but for lack of a better word, messy just fits. Everything becomes a mess when a man, or woman, “puts asunder” what God has joined together in holy matrimony. When asked to write this article, I was first reminded of the fight of my life. My marriage […]
- Here’s How My Life and My Marriage Changed When I Allowed God’s Plan to Take OverBy: Angelique Redus-McCoy Two years ago, my family and I moved from our hometown to a city that, quite truthfully, had never been on our radar. I left a job that I loved and where I felt loved. We left the home where we started our family, a home I could’ve lived in forever. We left […]
- Parents: Seek Advice or Parent on the Fly? These 5 Tips Could Help You DecideBy: Dr. George James Is there a perfect way to be a parent? Maybe you’ve read all the books, heard all the stories and watched all the videos. At the same time, there’s a part of you that has tried to figure it out on your own. It is normal to oscillate between wanting support […]
- Back to School Shopping Made Easy…2 Tips that Will Save You Time and Money
Upcoming iLL Shows
Monthly Archives: July 2010
www.illholiday.com- Open up your mind to open up your possibilities. Check out this independent short by one of Indy’s most gifted independent film makers- Charlie Williams. Charlie is CEO of Ebony Daylight Productions.
His trademark is his ability to intrigue the viewer with an unusually good quality of production and all local talent. The lead in and ending song is by one of our best singer-songwriter’s Mudd Jones. Without further ado, here is the world premier of the short film Telekinesis!
Tony Styxx is a name that has become synonymous with talent on the Indy Art Scene. Though his day job has him working with under-privileged youth; his night job is to rock the mic! This dude is an emcee, poet, and beat-box extraordinaire.
Check him out as he gives attendees at Indy’s Best Known Open Mic event “Spoken Soul Food Sundays” a real taste of one of Hip Hop’s core elements, Beat-box! Follow him: @Tony_Styxx
www.illholiday.com- I can’t believe I just watched this whole video. I can’t believe I’m sharing it either. When you get past the corny rhymes, it’s kinda funny. Check it out and let us know what you think.
Today I learned a valuable lesson. When there is thirst, water can flow. Indianapolis has long been a thirsty market, but there has always been a mysterious lack of star quality in much of its homegrown talent. Well, Tiara Thomas surprised me with her ability to not only do the acoustic/ emcee/ singer thing, but also by the possessing the “it” factor.
I must say I have a definition of “it” that may be different than the next music lover. When I say “it”, I’m not talking about just a pretty face, pretty voice, or great combination of the two. Tiara has a certain mixture of grace and confidence that immediately lets the audience know, “Hey, even though I’m good at what I do, I still want to make sure I connect with you.” Not many artists, local or mainstream, have that. She has a genuinely good voice. Even in the transition from rapping the verse to singing the hook; you could tell there was a certain mastery of the material that is polished through practice, but only works when it comes naturally. I must also say that I’m a sucker for covers. Her covers of Drake’s Say Something and Forever did not hurt at all. After doing my homework, I learned that Tiara has not been under a rock, I have. One thing I know is, by the LIVE set I just witnessed, the name Tiara Thomas is about to quickly outgrow this cozy music market and land on the front of a mass of hungry music minds.
iLL Rating 8.0/10
King Solomon said “My son, keep my words, And treasure my commands within you. Keep my commands and live, And my law as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; Write them on the tablet of your heart. Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,” And call understanding your nearest kin, That they may keep you from the immoral woman, From the seductress who flatters with her words.”
Heartbreak’s home is right around the corner from them girls on the Boulevard. I used to have a thing for girls who showed no interest in “nice” guys. In high school a girl once told me, you are the type of guy I would marry, but not the type of guy I would date. Back then I couldn’t see why I wasn’t date-able. Even though I wasn’t on no Steve Urkel type stuff; I still wasn’t into playing games. I wanted to have a girl to call mine.
Fast forward to today, I see how much that says about a person when they have that thriving urge to get to the Boulevard. Check out this song by some guys who I met in ATL at a show we both were performing at. Even though I can’t roll with the message in every one of their songs; I was diggin their sound then, and I dig this cut. They used to be called Futureshock, but now go by the name of Weapon’s of Audio.
www.illholiday.com- I haven’t heard a song celebrating a father’s love for his children like this one does. Everyday children are conceived in love and raised in love. We sometimes forget to take time to recognize just how special a father’s love is for his children. I am so grateful to have a heavenly father that has allowed me to have a great earthly father. HE has doubled the impact of a father’s love in my life. I am a shadow of the greatness of my father. I have learned to love my children more deeply because of my earthly and heavenly fathers’ examples. Sade has brought it to my attention that my daddy’s love comes with a lifetime guarantee! Watch: Babyfather by one of Africa’s finest…SADE!
www.illholiday.com- Never Under-Estimate the powers of the iPad! This makes me kinda wish I had one…
www.illholiday.com- Where was I at when this movie came out? Well, this is a rental I have to see!
www.illholiday.com- Aint it funny how the money keep on flowing to the Masters? In the world’s biggest disasters they boatin and gettin plastered. Earth’s precious elements choke life away from the masses. Black is the color of shame, unless you throwin or catching passes. But black is the same asset that most empires are after. If they lack it then they’ll smash any nation to get the Blackness!
After they strip the blackness, they refine it and call it gas it’s- the same thing they did with the slaves to become the Masters. -iLL Holiday
Talib Kweli and Hi-Tek are…Reflection Eternal.
Talib Kweli and Hi-Tek release a brand new music video for “Ballad of the Black Gold”, an ode to the oil crisis.
www.illholiday.com- So here’s the deal! Style knows style when style is Real. America’s Top Model Contestant Shaya Ali stars in this independent film shot at the Drake Hotel in Chicago. If you like independent films, I think you might enjoy this! Drop a line and let us know what you think.
www.illholiday.com- One of the most anticipated shows of 2010 is going down at the Jazz Kitchen. old soul ent. and Twin Peaks present Kool’s Bazaar Album Release Party. Yours truly will be hostin and Dj Rasul will be coastin. Throw on yo good good gear and make sure to bring your boo here. It’s going DOWN!
Experience the Bazaar at facebook.com/koolsbazaar
Stay Fresher under the Pressure & Doper than the rest of the Culture! Have your day to day getaway in these summertime foot pieces. Ronnie Fieg is one of the dopest shoe designers in the game right now…