Sign Up To Get Down
Voices at Penn
iLL Days Past
- August 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (1)
- August 2014 (1)
- June 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (1)
- August 2013 (1)
- June 2013 (2)
- January 2013 (1)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (2)
- August 2012 (2)
- July 2012 (5)
- June 2012 (1)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (1)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (6)
- October 2011 (10)
- September 2011 (5)
- August 2011 (1)
- July 2011 (2)
- June 2011 (5)
- May 2011 (4)
- April 2011 (8)
- March 2011 (2)
- February 2011 (8)
- January 2011 (6)
- December 2010 (3)
- November 2010 (5)
- October 2010 (8)
- September 2010 (10)
- August 2010 (6)
- July 2010 (14)
- June 2010 (29)
- May 2010 (1)
- 3 Ways to Be Happily Single On PurposeToo many people see being single as a “disease” that needs to be cured rather than a season of life or possibly even a calling for life. Some come right out and say it: “Girl, why are you still single? Can’t you find a man?” Or, “if you weren’t so picky, you would be able to […]
- 2 Ways Your Relationship With God Can Save Your Relationship With Your SpouseLet’s start out this post with a few indisputables. The divorce rate in America is between 40 and 50 percent. The divorce rate among African American couples is typically higher than other ethnic groups. Now, since African Americans make up a large percentage of church goers, it begs the question that if we’re such faithful […]
- #Boxtumes: 4 Easy Steps to Create a Playing Card Halloween Costume Made with a BoxThis is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Amazon. The opinions and text are all mine. You would think, since our kids are getting older, we would be phasing out of Halloween. But each year, we find more and more ways to have fun together as a family. This year, we made costumes out […]
- 5 Ways to Make Dating Fun Again That Actually WorkDo you dread dating because you’re bored with the kinds of men you meet? Or are you suffering from burn-out and the thought of getting dressed up just to be disappointed makes you feel like you’re wasting time when you could be getting work done? You might even feel bitter about the dating scene because it […]
- The NFL Season is Turning Me Against My Husband. Am I Overreacting?Dear Dr. Buckingham, My husband and his friends range from 40-52 (All married or living with someone). During football season, they turn into drunken clowns and buffoons. They use the NFL as an excuse to drink excessively and hang out 8+ hours every Sunday. They all drink and drive and have a CDL license. I […]
- Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Judge People Who Choose to Save Their Marriage After an AffairLet’s keep it real. In today’s society, it has become way too easy to slap judgment on someone for just about any reason. Now imagine having the label of cheater. Maybe you are like me and know all too well what that feels like so you don’t have to imagine. Well, the flip side of […]
- 6 Fatal Mistakes Husbands Make After Their Wife’s Affair and How to Avoid ThemBy: Dr. Shane Perrault, PhD You just found out your girl — or worse your wife — cheated. Ouch! That cheating #@&%^ #%$@! you say, but, much to your surprise, you still love her. What now? Leave, stay, forgive, forget? Your heart was just ripped out, your sense of trust is long gone, and you are […]
- Free Couples Webinar: How to Build a Successful Business with Your SpouseWhen a husband and wife embark on a business venture together, it adds a unique dynamic to their relationship. The idea of working with your spouse seems exciting, but the reality is it can lead to great success or great failure for the business and the marriage alike. Given the incredible 50 percent divorce rate in this country, […]
- Amazing Kid CEO Teaches Your Children to be EntrepreneursIf you know anything us, you know that we love to hear about kids who are killing it with business and education. Our kids are our future, and with the state of the world today, it’s good to see that some of our seeds are growing to be dignified young men and women that will […]
- 3 Simple Tips for Investing in Your HusbandThey say that behind every great man is a great woman. I like to take it one step further and say that behind every great man is a wise woman. But I didn’t make that up. Dating all the way back to Biblical times, and specifically Proverbs 31, we see the tremendous value a wise woman […]
- 3 Ways to Be Happily Single On Purpose
Upcoming iLL Shows
Monthly Archives: August 2010
The ILLEST: Revenge of the ILLIGANS Limited Edition T-Shirt Now on Sale!
Now you can have your very own The ILLEST: Revenge of the ILLIGANS Limited Edition T-Shirt. This shirt was a callabo with Cult Creators founder Damon Taziyah. Not only is Damon one of the most talented graphic designers alive, he also has a keen eye for fashion. This limited edition tee was developed to celebrate the inner ILLNESS that we all possess when we chose to be different. It is all about staying ahead of the crowd and defining yourself.
What happens when the only way to be cool is not being cool? Do you follow the crowd or let the crowd follow you? Even when they don’t follow, do you still keep it movin? Or, do you stop to try and find out what’s good? If you can say that you would rock your best fit even if it landed you on the “Worst Dressed List”- You Just Might Be The iLLEST!
www.illholiday.com- I was not going to touch this with a stick at first. But-I changed my mind after hearing the song.
Gospel Rapper Bizzle gets industry fame off of his last 2 dis records of Jay-Z.
Even though he is one of many, many Holy Hip Hop artists that have taken exception to Mr. Braggadocious, Bizzle has managed to garner national press in the process. This makes me wonder a few things…
1. Why does anyone care?
2. Does this mean that others (bloggers, artists, hip hop fans, Industry Execs) secretly agree with Bizzle?
3. Are we looking for Jay to reply?
4. Does this mean that all we have to do is drop a beef song to get national exposure?
I don’t know. I never have and never will be a Jay-Z fan, but I can’t say I’m a Bizzle Fan either. I am, however a fan of art. From that stand point I challenge myself to say, “Talent at what cost?” The host of reasons that Jay doesn’t appeal are all around what he stands for in contrast to what I stand for. We just don’t see life the same way. Many of the points Bizzle makes strike emotions in me, as well as those who already don’t like Jay-Z, but what is gained from this? Can there be anything gained besides more people hearing their first gospel rap song?
What do you think?
www.illholiday.com- President Obama addresses a jam-packed room full of Young African Leaders. He reminds them that half of the African population is under 30. He chose to address this group because young people are more likely to ask questions like “why shouldn’t we have free press?” President Obama quoted Robert Kennedy in saying, “Some people see things and ask why; while others see things that need changing and ask why not.”
Check out this heart to heart between a group full of passionate young thought leaders and the first ever Black Leader of the World’s Most Powerful Country! (BTW- He’s an iLLIGAN)
www.illholiday.com- The Somalian Twins who founded Mataano are nothing less than amazing…
Ayaan and Idyl Mohallim are showing the world-wide fashion scene how they do it. Born in the midst of civil war in Somalia, fleeing to the United States proved to be an opportunity to manifest their dreams on a global stage. One of the things that the twins are adamant about is the thought that “Africa is not a homogeneous place!”
This has lead them to be daring in the fashion world, sometimes redefining the lens in which the world sees Africa. If you focus on their designs you will see that they are young, but very skilled. Telling an African story in a New York way has been their mission for just 2 years but Oprah Winfrey, CNN and Uptown Magazine have all featured them as successful young entrepreneurs who are ahead of style. This has given them a unique stage to give voice to African fashion. With a whole continent to represent in their work, the Mataano label has proven its adaptability through its vast array of offerings each season.
Even more surprising than the immense group of influences and inspirations that Mataano draws from; is the fact that it tip-toes into a realm that most designers stay clear of: modesty. After receiving feedback from fans in their homeland of Somalia, they have looked for ways to apply their fashion voice to modest designs. Not only does this appease many in more traditional cultures, this makes them honorary iLLIGANS.