Sign Up To Get Down
Voices at Penn
iLL Days Past
- August 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (1)
- August 2014 (1)
- June 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (1)
- August 2013 (1)
- June 2013 (2)
- January 2013 (1)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (2)
- August 2012 (2)
- July 2012 (5)
- June 2012 (1)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (1)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (6)
- October 2011 (10)
- September 2011 (5)
- August 2011 (2)
- July 2011 (2)
- June 2011 (5)
- May 2011 (4)
- April 2011 (8)
- March 2011 (2)
- February 2011 (8)
- January 2011 (6)
- December 2010 (3)
- November 2010 (5)
- October 2010 (9)
- September 2010 (10)
- August 2010 (6)
- July 2010 (14)
- June 2010 (29)
- May 2010 (1)
- Healthy Black Marriages Do ExistI stumbled across a Facebook post a couple of weeks ago and found the topic so interesting I had to write about it. The post was in response to all the praise pouring in for rap’s new super couple, Remy Ma and Papoose. It questioned why black folks were acting like we had never seen […]
- Here’s What Would Happen If Couples Just Learned to CompromiseI recently had a client, who was afraid to get into a relationship, say, “I just don’t want to lose myself in a relationship.” Well of course I peeled that onion back and discovered that the core of the issue was that my client didn’t realize that compromising isn’t the same thing as settling. Why […]
- What Ingredients Are Needed to Create a Thriving and Fruitful Marriage?Dear Dr. Buckingham, I am a 28-year-old single male, but I recently proposed to my girl. I want to get married fairly soon. I have been following you and you often talk about unconditional love in your articles. I know that love is needed to develop and sustain a marriage, but I am pretty sure […]
- Stop Losing Money: Here’s Why You Should Get Help With Your TaxesAccording to Benjamin Franklin, there are only two things certain in life: death and taxes. Unfortunately, this year’s April 18th tax deadline is fast approaching. With a tax code that is 74,608 pages long and changes being made yearly, it’s almost impossible for an individual to be aware of all the tax credits or deductions […]
- 5 Important Things Women Often Overlook Because They’re in LOVEI love my husband. I’ve known him for 20 years and we’ve been married for over 8 years. We have two kids together and a third on the way. Our lives aren’t perfect, but we certainly love what we have built. We’ve been blessed. But can I tell you a secret? My love for him […]
- 3 Things Women Hear When He Says, “We’re Just Friends” that Lead to HeartbreakYou are seriously dating a man (at least you think it’s serious because you are giving him all of your time), but he tells you that you are just friends. What does this mean? Most importantly, what do you hear when he says this? (READ: What a Man Really Means When He Says He Just Wants […]
- The Very First Thing You Should Do When You Want to Improve Communication with Your SpouseThe one thing that people often overlook, when they are trying to improve communication with their spouse, is some critical but necessary self-reflection. You see, when you are lacking in communication skills with your spouse, often times, its because the communication patterns, that were useful at one point in your life, are now outdated and just […]
- Step Family Life: 5 Very Real Concerns of a Biological MotherWhen my husband proposed to me, I was elated. He was finally going to put a ring on it after six months of dating. This was in 1999, so I realize this may seem odd. However, I knew in my heart that he was my husband and I told him this. I knew in my […]
- 5 Signs Your Marriage is Going to Be OKHave you ever gotten to a point in your marriage where you thought you and your spouse would never overcome a certain situation? So many marriages reach a period of time where the couple may question everything about their union. Stress, disagreements and just life can easily take us to a negative space where we […]
- 4 Ways to Prevent Emotional Baggage From Ruining Your New RelationshipsInitially when we meet people we meet their representative- the perfect, good behavior version of themselves. But, at what point do you meet the real person? As the relationship is growing towards monogamy and possibly marriage, when are the masks removed, allowing full disclosure to come into play? When do you meet, see and/or discuss […]
- Healthy Black Marriages Do Exist
Upcoming iLL Shows
Monthly Archives: November 2010
Midnyte Sun is a gospel rapper who released a single that points out the issue of Christians in the Club. Even though his messages have been going to my spam folder for years, I didn’t unsubscribe just in case he sent something that I really was interested in. When checking my SPAM folder, the title of the single caught my attention. After watching the video, I knew I needed to share it with my iLLIGANS!
I have spent the last 10 years between the 2. My professional rap career has led me to some of the hottest clubs from New York to Los Angeles as well as some of the smallest and largest holy places in the United States. Through it all, I have run into Christians at every location.
That makes me wonder, what would have happen if all of the Christians disappeared? What if they were never at those places? Would things be better? Would people take Christianity more seriously? Would more people become Christians?
While part of me is for the separatist mindset, another part of me wonders…Would there be more shootings at clubs? Would there be more raping? Would there be more gang rivalries? Would the music be even worse (yea, imagine that..worse than what they already bump in clubs). Would hip hop be more dangerous if no one involved had the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of them?
Even though I believe these are all valid questions, I think the real question that comes to mind is…What is a REAL Christian? What should they be doing and what shouldn’t they be doing?
What do you think?
Indy iLLiGANS and St. Lou iLLiGANS will celebrate a weekend to remember.
This Friday, St Louis is the place to be. Former member of the R&b Soul group Floetry, Natalie Stewart is the featured artist of “NEXT”.
“Next” is a premium listening party experience that will highlight the artist and their music. The first artist we are featuring is “The Floacist” Natalie Stewart. The British recording artist—and former member of the Grammy-nominated neo-soul group Floetry— Natalie Stewart has been in the studio creating new music for her upcoming album. Since the R&B group split, fans have been wondering when Stewart would resurface with her melodic spoken words. Well she’s back now! So If your soul is musically vacant, make “NEXT” apart of your busy schedule so that Great music and Great artists can flourish.
Each month the door donation supports a different charity.
This Saturday Night, the party returns to Indy! Soul Purpose will be delivering what your soul craves. Soul Purpose is Indy’s Premier emerging Gospel Neo Soul Band. Their melodic tunes are just what you need to get you through another hectic week! come out and cop their new project at Earth House.
Arrive early to get a seat! Yours truly will be hosting and a number of Indy’s most talented vocalists will be on the bill. Come stressed and leave Blessed!
A Night with Soul Purpose
@ Earth House Collective
237 N. East St.
$20 in Advance/ $25 at the Door
Doors: 6pm Show Starts: 7pm
Here’s the best way to get through a Thursday:
Something to look at…
Cop a shirt!
Download the whole album FREE!
You may not have heard of this short film produced in 2002 by hip hop journalist, Dream Hampton and Legendary Roots Crew Drummer, ?uestlove. I Am Ali is a very troubling, yet very necessary depiction of how the black community struggles to deal with living with loved one’s who have a mental illness. The acting is great, the plot is totally believable, and the characters are even more genuine than what we are used to seeing on the big screen. Be warned, this is not something to watch with kids around. It is mature(not pornographic, just mature), and complex, and does contain profanity.
The conversation I am having with myself is:
What is the right way to deal with a loved one who is battling to get a grasp on reality?
Is there redemption available for someone in this condition, or are they down for the count?