Sign Up To Get Down
Voices at Penn
iLL Days Past
- August 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (1)
- August 2014 (1)
- June 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (1)
- August 2013 (1)
- June 2013 (2)
- January 2013 (1)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (2)
- August 2012 (2)
- July 2012 (5)
- June 2012 (1)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (1)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (6)
- October 2011 (10)
- September 2011 (5)
- August 2011 (2)
- July 2011 (2)
- June 2011 (5)
- May 2011 (4)
- April 2011 (8)
- March 2011 (2)
- February 2011 (8)
- January 2011 (6)
- December 2010 (3)
- November 2010 (5)
- October 2010 (9)
- September 2010 (10)
- August 2010 (6)
- July 2010 (14)
- June 2010 (29)
- May 2010 (1)
- Back to School Shopping Made Easy…2 Tips that Will Save You Time and MoneyThis post is brought to you by Office Depot. All opinions are my own. “Relax…I’ve got this all under control. I’ve been a mom for 24 years. I know what I’m doing.” That’s what I told our 10-year-old daughter last week during her melt-down (she is going to be a sixth grader in middle school […]
- These 4 Traits Can Turn Your Child Into a Money MastermindYou want the best for your children. So what can you do to ensure they become adults who are happy and prosperous, rather than ones who are stressed out, living paycheck to paycheck? Teaching them about saving, debt, and compound interest is a good start; but instilling them with the right attitudes and mindsets is […]
- Benefits or Backbone? 4 Reasons to Stop Wasting Time in a Bad RelationshipBy: Ankunda Carrolyn Growing up as a Non-Christian, all I ever wanted was a man who could love me, spoil me with gifts, provide for me, and take care of me (which isn’t bad, by the way). My spiritual eyes had not been opened yet to the importance of marrying a spiritual man. I later […]
- Too Comfortable? 5 Ways to Breathe Life into Your Dull MarriageBy: Dr. George James Has your relationship lost its spark? Maybe you and your partner have become too comfortable with each other and you don’t make the effort anymore. The good thing is that this is a normal phase in every relationship. The bad thing is, if you allow your relationship to get stuck in […]
- Marriage and Money: 4 Easy Steps to Financial Closeness with Your SpouseThis is part of a sponsored campaign with Wells Fargo. All opinions are my own. Recently, I had such a wonderful time sitting on BMWK’s Financial Intimacy panel sponsored by Wells Fargo. Founders of BMWK, Ronnie and Lamar Tyler, strategically positioned this discussion as the kick-off event to their 3rd annual BMWK Marriage Cruise—to make […]
- My Husband’s Sick Mom is Destroying Our Marriage. What Should I Do?Dear Dr. Buckingham, My husband and I have been married for five years. Recently, I left our home that we have shared for the last seven years. His mother is living there now that she is ill, but she has been saying hurtful things to me which caused me to leave for the last month. […]
- It Takes a Squad: 3 Types of Friends Every Woman Needs to Hold Her Down When She’s DatingHave you seen the movie, Girls’ Trip? Theaters around the country were smelling like cocoa butter and coconut oil because the “Sistas” showed up and showed out, making this film a box office success! Maybe we were so excited to finally have a celebration of #BlackGirlMagic and our friendships on the big screen (We haven’t […]
- 3 Ways to Fight for Your Marriage (and Win) After an AffairAffairs are messy. I’m not trying to be glib but for lack of a better word, messy just fits. Everything becomes a mess when a man, or woman, “puts asunder” what God has joined together in holy matrimony. When asked to write this article, I was first reminded of the fight of my life. My marriage […]
- Here’s How My Life and My Marriage Changed When I Allowed God’s Plan to Take OverBy: Angelique Redus-McCoy Two years ago, my family and I moved from our hometown to a city that, quite truthfully, had never been on our radar. I left a job that I loved and where I felt loved. We left the home where we started our family, a home I could’ve lived in forever. We left […]
- Parents: Seek Advice or Parent on the Fly? These 5 Tips Could Help You DecideBy: Dr. George James Is there a perfect way to be a parent? Maybe you’ve read all the books, heard all the stories and watched all the videos. At the same time, there’s a part of you that has tried to figure it out on your own. It is normal to oscillate between wanting support […]
- Back to School Shopping Made Easy…2 Tips that Will Save You Time and Money
Upcoming iLL Shows
Monthly Archives: November 2010
Midnyte Sun is a gospel rapper who released a single that points out the issue of Christians in the Club. Even though his messages have been going to my spam folder for years, I didn’t unsubscribe just in case he sent something that I really was interested in. When checking my SPAM folder, the title of the single caught my attention. After watching the video, I knew I needed to share it with my iLLIGANS!
I have spent the last 10 years between the 2. My professional rap career has led me to some of the hottest clubs from New York to Los Angeles as well as some of the smallest and largest holy places in the United States. Through it all, I have run into Christians at every location.
That makes me wonder, what would have happen if all of the Christians disappeared? What if they were never at those places? Would things be better? Would people take Christianity more seriously? Would more people become Christians?
While part of me is for the separatist mindset, another part of me wonders…Would there be more shootings at clubs? Would there be more raping? Would there be more gang rivalries? Would the music be even worse (yea, imagine that..worse than what they already bump in clubs). Would hip hop be more dangerous if no one involved had the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of them?
Even though I believe these are all valid questions, I think the real question that comes to mind is…What is a REAL Christian? What should they be doing and what shouldn’t they be doing?
What do you think?
Indy iLLiGANS and St. Lou iLLiGANS will celebrate a weekend to remember.
This Friday, St Louis is the place to be. Former member of the R&b Soul group Floetry, Natalie Stewart is the featured artist of “NEXT”.
“Next” is a premium listening party experience that will highlight the artist and their music. The first artist we are featuring is “The Floacist” Natalie Stewart. The British recording artist—and former member of the Grammy-nominated neo-soul group Floetry— Natalie Stewart has been in the studio creating new music for her upcoming album. Since the R&B group split, fans have been wondering when Stewart would resurface with her melodic spoken words. Well she’s back now! So If your soul is musically vacant, make “NEXT” apart of your busy schedule so that Great music and Great artists can flourish.
Each month the door donation supports a different charity.
This Saturday Night, the party returns to Indy! Soul Purpose will be delivering what your soul craves. Soul Purpose is Indy’s Premier emerging Gospel Neo Soul Band. Their melodic tunes are just what you need to get you through another hectic week! come out and cop their new project at Earth House.
Arrive early to get a seat! Yours truly will be hosting and a number of Indy’s most talented vocalists will be on the bill. Come stressed and leave Blessed!
A Night with Soul Purpose
@ Earth House Collective
237 N. East St.
$20 in Advance/ $25 at the Door
Doors: 6pm Show Starts: 7pm
Here’s the best way to get through a Thursday:
Something to look at…
Cop a shirt!
Download the whole album FREE!
You may not have heard of this short film produced in 2002 by hip hop journalist, Dream Hampton and Legendary Roots Crew Drummer, ?uestlove. I Am Ali is a very troubling, yet very necessary depiction of how the black community struggles to deal with living with loved one’s who have a mental illness. The acting is great, the plot is totally believable, and the characters are even more genuine than what we are used to seeing on the big screen. Be warned, this is not something to watch with kids around. It is mature(not pornographic, just mature), and complex, and does contain profanity.
The conversation I am having with myself is:
What is the right way to deal with a loved one who is battling to get a grasp on reality?
Is there redemption available for someone in this condition, or are they down for the count?