Sign Up To Get Down
Voices at Penn
iLL Days Past
- August 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (1)
- August 2014 (1)
- June 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (1)
- August 2013 (1)
- June 2013 (2)
- January 2013 (1)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (2)
- August 2012 (2)
- July 2012 (5)
- June 2012 (1)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (1)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (6)
- October 2011 (10)
- September 2011 (5)
- August 2011 (1)
- July 2011 (2)
- June 2011 (5)
- May 2011 (4)
- April 2011 (8)
- March 2011 (2)
- February 2011 (8)
- January 2011 (6)
- December 2010 (3)
- November 2010 (5)
- October 2010 (8)
- September 2010 (10)
- August 2010 (6)
- July 2010 (14)
- June 2010 (29)
- May 2010 (1)
- 3 Ways to Be Happily Single On PurposeToo many people see being single as a “disease” that needs to be cured rather than a season of life or possibly even a calling for life. Some come right out and say it: “Girl, why are you still single? Can’t you find a man?” Or, “if you weren’t so picky, you would be able to […]
- 2 Ways Your Relationship With God Can Save Your Relationship With Your SpouseLet’s start out this post with a few indisputables. The divorce rate in America is between 40 and 50 percent. The divorce rate among African American couples is typically higher than other ethnic groups. Now, since African Americans make up a large percentage of church goers, it begs the question that if we’re such faithful […]
- #Boxtumes: 4 Easy Steps to Create a Playing Card Halloween Costume Made with a BoxThis is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Amazon. The opinions and text are all mine. You would think, since our kids are getting older, we would be phasing out of Halloween. But each year, we find more and more ways to have fun together as a family. This year, we made costumes out […]
- 5 Ways to Make Dating Fun Again That Actually WorkDo you dread dating because you’re bored with the kinds of men you meet? Or are you suffering from burn-out and the thought of getting dressed up just to be disappointed makes you feel like you’re wasting time when you could be getting work done? You might even feel bitter about the dating scene because it […]
- The NFL Season is Turning Me Against My Husband. Am I Overreacting?Dear Dr. Buckingham, My husband and his friends range from 40-52 (All married or living with someone). During football season, they turn into drunken clowns and buffoons. They use the NFL as an excuse to drink excessively and hang out 8+ hours every Sunday. They all drink and drive and have a CDL license. I […]
- Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Judge People Who Choose to Save Their Marriage After an AffairLet’s keep it real. In today’s society, it has become way too easy to slap judgment on someone for just about any reason. Now imagine having the label of cheater. Maybe you are like me and know all too well what that feels like so you don’t have to imagine. Well, the flip side of […]
- 6 Fatal Mistakes Husbands Make After Their Wife’s Affair and How to Avoid ThemBy: Dr. Shane Perrault, PhD You just found out your girl — or worse your wife — cheated. Ouch! That cheating #@&%^ #%$@! you say, but, much to your surprise, you still love her. What now? Leave, stay, forgive, forget? Your heart was just ripped out, your sense of trust is long gone, and you are […]
- Free Couples Webinar: How to Build a Successful Business with Your SpouseWhen a husband and wife embark on a business venture together, it adds a unique dynamic to their relationship. The idea of working with your spouse seems exciting, but the reality is it can lead to great success or great failure for the business and the marriage alike. Given the incredible 50 percent divorce rate in this country, […]
- Amazing Kid CEO Teaches Your Children to be EntrepreneursIf you know anything us, you know that we love to hear about kids who are killing it with business and education. Our kids are our future, and with the state of the world today, it’s good to see that some of our seeds are growing to be dignified young men and women that will […]
- 3 Simple Tips for Investing in Your HusbandThey say that behind every great man is a great woman. I like to take it one step further and say that behind every great man is a wise woman. But I didn’t make that up. Dating all the way back to Biblical times, and specifically Proverbs 31, we see the tremendous value a wise woman […]
- 3 Ways to Be Happily Single On Purpose
Upcoming iLL Shows
Monthly Archives: June 2011
If you know anything about today’s soul music scene, you must know about Khari Lemuel!! He is the embodiment of soul meets spoken word. Khari is a singer, composer, writer, and classically trained cellist. Trained in 8 different instruments, he has been playing cello professionally since the age of 3. Both Oprah and Good Morning America’s Charles Gibson sing his Praises.
This Sunday you can experience Khari LIVE at Indianapolis’ Premier Poetry/Jazz Set, Blue Moon Sunday.
Hailing from the Windy City, Khari, brings a style and flavor that can only be rivaled by the greats. Even though he is well under 40, his style and flavor remind you of something mama ‘anem used to listen to. So this Sunday is the Sunday to grab your date and prepare to do some serious chillin.
If you are an artist, you can also share at Blue Moon Sunday. The open mic is always one of the high points of the night. With performances spanning the genres of poetry, jazz, hip hop, comedy and gospel; Blue Moon’s stage is one of the most welcoming stages you’ll find anywhere.
Our host is the ever stylish Tasha Jones and the house band is Diverse Fragments Featuring Michael Houston.
Seeya Sunday at 7pm at the Madame Walker Theatre!
Artists need to read the following excerpt from a recent edition of “The Urban Buzz Factor”.
Presently the Mixtape market is very over saturated. There are too many mixtape projects being released freely into the marketplace without any defined purpose or mission. The end result is nothing but clutter!
There are several important factors you must consider before releasing a mixtape.
Firstly, make sure the mixtape is recorded properly, mixed down correctly and sounds crisp.
Equally important, make sure your mixtape content, cover and concept are unique to stand apart from the competition. Strive to make a “Classic” mixtape not a “Clutter” mixtape. Don’t just make “clutter” music that you give away for free to clutter the marketplace. Make “Classic” music with passion and feeling that music afficianados can appreciate.
If you’re going to do a remix of a popular song or rhyme over a well know industry instrumental, then make sure that your version is just as good or even better than the original.
Don’t Get Caught up in the “Mixtape Madness.” Don’t release your 3rd free mixtape in 3 months if you haven’t properly promoted the first two.
Most indie Hip Hop artists release a mixtape without even promoting it. Some rappers spend thousands of dollars to get a “big name” DJ to host their mixtape and then spend zero dollars marketing it.
Develop a strategy to make people excited about downloading it. Create Hype about your mixtape before releasing it. Send out press releases, do giveaways, get reviews on it, do radio interviews, etc.
Before dropping a mixtape, release a single and develop it virally. Inform the public that this is the 1st single from the upcoming mixtape. A week or two before releasing your mixtape, do a couple of mixtape release parties and invite the press, fans and DJ’s. Perform a couple of songs from it.
To promote the mixtape, use a small budget to sponsor local events. Advertise with your local internet radio shows that support your music.
And don’t just spend money on a Mixtape Marketing company. Work the project yourself as well. Make your fans part of the experience!
Put a snippet of a bonus single on your free mixtape and then sell that bonus single in its entirety on Itunes. Additionally, make a music video of the bonus single, put it on Youtube and advertise that it’s a bonus single from your mixtape.
Also try to Do something different with your mixtape like tie it in to your favorite charity whereby you can get awareness for the charity as well.
If you’re going to pay a so called big name DJ to host your mixtape, then try to have an agreement which stipulates that the DJ has to promote the project as well.
Now that your free mixtape has been downloaded “5000” or more times, what’s next? That’s what you should be asking yourself. (Movement Calculations)
The purpose of giving away free music is to advertise your brand for opportunities that make money like paid live shows, endorsements, merchandise sales etc.
If you don’t have a follow up plan to generate money from your “Free Mixtape”, then you’re just wasting your time. Monetize your Movement!
The little bit of advice I just gave on “Mixtapes” is priceless! I hope it helps so that we can get rid of some of this clutter of free Mixtapes that are put into the marketplace without any Rhyme or Reason.. Jesse Atkinson
To learn more about how people are beginning to think about alternatives to mixtapes; check out De Gud Life. They are an Indianapolis multimedia collective that believe in delivering more than just music. They mix 2 dimensional art, video, and music together to deliver a package that they call a BLENDER.
Even though I agree with the lyrical content of the music about as much as I dig Lil Boosie or even 50 Cent; I gotta say, “I really think these guys are on to something!” They flawlessly deliver a serious in the nail of the casket of Mixtapes!
…reblogged from The Kyla Show
WE SPEAK TYE TRIBBETT.. and now you have an opportunity to open up for him in concert.
Think you have what it takes to open for one of the nation’s most famed gospel artists?? Well, show us what you’ve got! The Madame Walker Theatre Center, in partnership with @WeSpeakVolumes, @TheKylaShow and AM1310 The Light, are hoping to highlight some of Indy’s best talent. Gospel artists of ALL kinds; dancers, comedians, singers, choirs, rappers, musicians, etc. are welcome to submit VIDEO ENTRIES to be considered for the top 10 …artists to open for Tye.
Videos (in .mov, mpeg4 or .avi format) should be emailed to email@example.com by August 8th. On August 10th, we will upload the top 10 video’s to this page and ask the public to vote for the 3 finalists who will open for Tye. Get your fans to vote!
1. Artists must be over 8 years of age.
2. Artists must submit a BRIEF bio and contact information with video.
3. Top 3 performers must perform to track or acoustic set. We cannot accommodate live bands.
4. Top 10 finalists must participate in promotion of contest and encourage voting.
*Up to 5 members of each group (of the top 3) will gain free entry into the concert.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on the concert visit www.walkertheatre.com.
Every once in a while
Somebody comes with a style
That will make a grin
Turn into a full smile
It’s not Everyday
That you feel this way
Dope is Dope
& iLL is iLL
@ that is OK
But what about when
Dopeness finds a friend?
What do you do
when when your friend’s dope too-
Life takes a dope spin!
Whitney Coleman is an unashamed Christian who’s style and flavor is enough to appeal to the masses. She has a take-charge stage presence that leaves crowds begging for an encore. This is not to take away from her soothing class. On her newest single, Whitney teams up with fellow Dope rhymer Alpha.live to deliver a great track for the summer. Even though they both reside in a town that’s better known for race cars and brawling basketball teams, than soul and lyracism; together, they put a familiar face on the circle city.
This face is the face of Dopeness!
Enjoy this new song [Feelings ft. Alpha.live] off of Whitney Coleman’s new Album, The Love Chapter: Lessons From A Human Heart
… Must Be Love!
Cop the album HERE!
The GOP caused a big fit a few weeks back about Hip Hop Artist, Common. They were upset that he was booked by the White House for a performance.
I just had the opportunity to catch a clip of his performance.
Listen to the words. Common offers a classy performance of spoken word for the White House.
What are your thoughts about this piece?