Sign Up To Get Down
Voices at Penn
iLL Days Past
- August 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (1)
- August 2014 (1)
- June 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (1)
- August 2013 (1)
- June 2013 (2)
- January 2013 (1)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (2)
- August 2012 (2)
- July 2012 (5)
- June 2012 (1)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (1)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (6)
- October 2011 (10)
- September 2011 (5)
- August 2011 (2)
- July 2011 (2)
- June 2011 (5)
- May 2011 (4)
- April 2011 (8)
- March 2011 (2)
- February 2011 (8)
- January 2011 (6)
- December 2010 (3)
- November 2010 (5)
- October 2010 (9)
- September 2010 (10)
- August 2010 (6)
- July 2010 (14)
- June 2010 (29)
- May 2010 (1)
- Healthy Black Marriages Do ExistI stumbled across a Facebook post a couple of weeks ago and found the topic so interesting I had to write about it. The post was in response to all the praise pouring in for rap’s new super couple, Remy Ma and Papoose. It questioned why black folks were acting like we had never seen […]
- Here’s What Would Happen If Couples Just Learned to CompromiseI recently had a client, who was afraid to get into a relationship, say, “I just don’t want to lose myself in a relationship.” Well of course I peeled that onion back and discovered that the core of the issue was that my client didn’t realize that compromising isn’t the same thing as settling. Why […]
- What Ingredients Are Needed to Create a Thriving and Fruitful Marriage?Dear Dr. Buckingham, I am a 28-year-old single male, but I recently proposed to my girl. I want to get married fairly soon. I have been following you and you often talk about unconditional love in your articles. I know that love is needed to develop and sustain a marriage, but I am pretty sure […]
- Stop Losing Money: Here’s Why You Should Get Help With Your TaxesAccording to Benjamin Franklin, there are only two things certain in life: death and taxes. Unfortunately, this year’s April 18th tax deadline is fast approaching. With a tax code that is 74,608 pages long and changes being made yearly, it’s almost impossible for an individual to be aware of all the tax credits or deductions […]
- 5 Important Things Women Often Overlook Because They’re in LOVEI love my husband. I’ve known him for 20 years and we’ve been married for over 8 years. We have two kids together and a third on the way. Our lives aren’t perfect, but we certainly love what we have built. We’ve been blessed. But can I tell you a secret? My love for him […]
- 3 Things Women Hear When He Says, “We’re Just Friends” that Lead to HeartbreakYou are seriously dating a man (at least you think it’s serious because you are giving him all of your time), but he tells you that you are just friends. What does this mean? Most importantly, what do you hear when he says this? (READ: What a Man Really Means When He Says He Just Wants […]
- The Very First Thing You Should Do When You Want to Improve Communication with Your SpouseThe one thing that people often overlook, when they are trying to improve communication with their spouse, is some critical but necessary self-reflection. You see, when you are lacking in communication skills with your spouse, often times, its because the communication patterns, that were useful at one point in your life, are now outdated and just […]
- Step Family Life: 5 Very Real Concerns of a Biological MotherWhen my husband proposed to me, I was elated. He was finally going to put a ring on it after six months of dating. This was in 1999, so I realize this may seem odd. However, I knew in my heart that he was my husband and I told him this. I knew in my […]
- 5 Signs Your Marriage is Going to Be OKHave you ever gotten to a point in your marriage where you thought you and your spouse would never overcome a certain situation? So many marriages reach a period of time where the couple may question everything about their union. Stress, disagreements and just life can easily take us to a negative space where we […]
- 4 Ways to Prevent Emotional Baggage From Ruining Your New RelationshipsInitially when we meet people we meet their representative- the perfect, good behavior version of themselves. But, at what point do you meet the real person? As the relationship is growing towards monogamy and possibly marriage, when are the masks removed, allowing full disclosure to come into play? When do you meet, see and/or discuss […]
- Healthy Black Marriages Do Exist
Upcoming iLL Shows
Monthly Archives: June 2011
If you know anything about today’s soul music scene, you must know about Khari Lemuel!! He is the embodiment of soul meets spoken word. Khari is a singer, composer, writer, and classically trained cellist. Trained in 8 different instruments, he has been playing cello professionally since the age of 3. Both Oprah and Good Morning America’s Charles Gibson sing his Praises.
This Sunday you can experience Khari LIVE at Indianapolis’ Premier Poetry/Jazz Set, Blue Moon Sunday.
Hailing from the Windy City, Khari, brings a style and flavor that can only be rivaled by the greats. Even though he is well under 40, his style and flavor remind you of something mama ‘anem used to listen to. So this Sunday is the Sunday to grab your date and prepare to do some serious chillin.
If you are an artist, you can also share at Blue Moon Sunday. The open mic is always one of the high points of the night. With performances spanning the genres of poetry, jazz, hip hop, comedy and gospel; Blue Moon’s stage is one of the most welcoming stages you’ll find anywhere.
Our host is the ever stylish Tasha Jones and the house band is Diverse Fragments Featuring Michael Houston.
Seeya Sunday at 7pm at the Madame Walker Theatre!
Artists need to read the following excerpt from a recent edition of “The Urban Buzz Factor”.
Presently the Mixtape market is very over saturated. There are too many mixtape projects being released freely into the marketplace without any defined purpose or mission. The end result is nothing but clutter!
There are several important factors you must consider before releasing a mixtape.
Firstly, make sure the mixtape is recorded properly, mixed down correctly and sounds crisp.
Equally important, make sure your mixtape content, cover and concept are unique to stand apart from the competition. Strive to make a “Classic” mixtape not a “Clutter” mixtape. Don’t just make “clutter” music that you give away for free to clutter the marketplace. Make “Classic” music with passion and feeling that music afficianados can appreciate.
If you’re going to do a remix of a popular song or rhyme over a well know industry instrumental, then make sure that your version is just as good or even better than the original.
Don’t Get Caught up in the “Mixtape Madness.” Don’t release your 3rd free mixtape in 3 months if you haven’t properly promoted the first two.
Most indie Hip Hop artists release a mixtape without even promoting it. Some rappers spend thousands of dollars to get a “big name” DJ to host their mixtape and then spend zero dollars marketing it.
Develop a strategy to make people excited about downloading it. Create Hype about your mixtape before releasing it. Send out press releases, do giveaways, get reviews on it, do radio interviews, etc.
Before dropping a mixtape, release a single and develop it virally. Inform the public that this is the 1st single from the upcoming mixtape. A week or two before releasing your mixtape, do a couple of mixtape release parties and invite the press, fans and DJ’s. Perform a couple of songs from it.
To promote the mixtape, use a small budget to sponsor local events. Advertise with your local internet radio shows that support your music.
And don’t just spend money on a Mixtape Marketing company. Work the project yourself as well. Make your fans part of the experience!
Put a snippet of a bonus single on your free mixtape and then sell that bonus single in its entirety on Itunes. Additionally, make a music video of the bonus single, put it on Youtube and advertise that it’s a bonus single from your mixtape.
Also try to Do something different with your mixtape like tie it in to your favorite charity whereby you can get awareness for the charity as well.
If you’re going to pay a so called big name DJ to host your mixtape, then try to have an agreement which stipulates that the DJ has to promote the project as well.
Now that your free mixtape has been downloaded “5000” or more times, what’s next? That’s what you should be asking yourself. (Movement Calculations)
The purpose of giving away free music is to advertise your brand for opportunities that make money like paid live shows, endorsements, merchandise sales etc.
If you don’t have a follow up plan to generate money from your “Free Mixtape”, then you’re just wasting your time. Monetize your Movement!
The little bit of advice I just gave on “Mixtapes” is priceless! I hope it helps so that we can get rid of some of this clutter of free Mixtapes that are put into the marketplace without any Rhyme or Reason.. Jesse Atkinson
To learn more about how people are beginning to think about alternatives to mixtapes; check out De Gud Life. They are an Indianapolis multimedia collective that believe in delivering more than just music. They mix 2 dimensional art, video, and music together to deliver a package that they call a BLENDER.
Even though I agree with the lyrical content of the music about as much as I dig Lil Boosie or even 50 Cent; I gotta say, “I really think these guys are on to something!” They flawlessly deliver a serious in the nail of the casket of Mixtapes!
…reblogged from The Kyla Show
WE SPEAK TYE TRIBBETT.. and now you have an opportunity to open up for him in concert.
Think you have what it takes to open for one of the nation’s most famed gospel artists?? Well, show us what you’ve got! The Madame Walker Theatre Center, in partnership with @WeSpeakVolumes, @TheKylaShow and AM1310 The Light, are hoping to highlight some of Indy’s best talent. Gospel artists of ALL kinds; dancers, comedians, singers, choirs, rappers, musicians, etc. are welcome to submit VIDEO ENTRIES to be considered for the top 10 …artists to open for Tye.
Videos (in .mov, mpeg4 or .avi format) should be emailed to email@example.com by August 8th. On August 10th, we will upload the top 10 video’s to this page and ask the public to vote for the 3 finalists who will open for Tye. Get your fans to vote!
1. Artists must be over 8 years of age.
2. Artists must submit a BRIEF bio and contact information with video.
3. Top 3 performers must perform to track or acoustic set. We cannot accommodate live bands.
4. Top 10 finalists must participate in promotion of contest and encourage voting.
*Up to 5 members of each group (of the top 3) will gain free entry into the concert.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on the concert visit www.walkertheatre.com.
Every once in a while
Somebody comes with a style
That will make a grin
Turn into a full smile
It’s not Everyday
That you feel this way
Dope is Dope
& iLL is iLL
@ that is OK
But what about when
Dopeness finds a friend?
What do you do
when when your friend’s dope too-
Life takes a dope spin!
Whitney Coleman is an unashamed Christian who’s style and flavor is enough to appeal to the masses. She has a take-charge stage presence that leaves crowds begging for an encore. This is not to take away from her soothing class. On her newest single, Whitney teams up with fellow Dope rhymer Alpha.live to deliver a great track for the summer. Even though they both reside in a town that’s better known for race cars and brawling basketball teams, than soul and lyracism; together, they put a familiar face on the circle city.
This face is the face of Dopeness!
Enjoy this new song [Feelings ft. Alpha.live] off of Whitney Coleman’s new Album, The Love Chapter: Lessons From A Human Heart
… Must Be Love!
Cop the album HERE!
The GOP caused a big fit a few weeks back about Hip Hop Artist, Common. They were upset that he was booked by the White House for a performance.
I just had the opportunity to catch a clip of his performance.
Listen to the words. Common offers a classy performance of spoken word for the White House.
What are your thoughts about this piece?