Sign Up To Get Down
Voices at Penn
iLL Days Past
- August 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (1)
- August 2014 (1)
- June 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (1)
- August 2013 (1)
- June 2013 (2)
- January 2013 (1)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (2)
- August 2012 (2)
- July 2012 (5)
- June 2012 (1)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (1)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (6)
- October 2011 (10)
- September 2011 (5)
- August 2011 (1)
- July 2011 (2)
- June 2011 (5)
- May 2011 (4)
- April 2011 (8)
- March 2011 (2)
- February 2011 (8)
- January 2011 (6)
- December 2010 (3)
- November 2010 (5)
- October 2010 (8)
- September 2010 (10)
- August 2010 (6)
- July 2010 (14)
- June 2010 (29)
- May 2010 (1)
- 3 Ways to Be Happily Single On PurposeToo many people see being single as a “disease” that needs to be cured rather than a season of life or possibly even a calling for life. Some come right out and say it: “Girl, why are you still single? Can’t you find a man?” Or, “if you weren’t so picky, you would be able to […]
- 2 Ways Your Relationship With God Can Save Your Relationship With Your SpouseLet’s start out this post with a few indisputables. The divorce rate in America is between 40 and 50 percent. The divorce rate among African American couples is typically higher than other ethnic groups. Now, since African Americans make up a large percentage of church goers, it begs the question that if we’re such faithful […]
- #Boxtumes: 4 Easy Steps to Create a Playing Card Halloween Costume Made with a BoxThis is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Amazon. The opinions and text are all mine. You would think, since our kids are getting older, we would be phasing out of Halloween. But each year, we find more and more ways to have fun together as a family. This year, we made costumes out […]
- 5 Ways to Make Dating Fun Again That Actually WorkDo you dread dating because you’re bored with the kinds of men you meet? Or are you suffering from burn-out and the thought of getting dressed up just to be disappointed makes you feel like you’re wasting time when you could be getting work done? You might even feel bitter about the dating scene because it […]
- The NFL Season is Turning Me Against My Husband. Am I Overreacting?Dear Dr. Buckingham, My husband and his friends range from 40-52 (All married or living with someone). During football season, they turn into drunken clowns and buffoons. They use the NFL as an excuse to drink excessively and hang out 8+ hours every Sunday. They all drink and drive and have a CDL license. I […]
- Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Judge People Who Choose to Save Their Marriage After an AffairLet’s keep it real. In today’s society, it has become way too easy to slap judgment on someone for just about any reason. Now imagine having the label of cheater. Maybe you are like me and know all too well what that feels like so you don’t have to imagine. Well, the flip side of […]
- 6 Fatal Mistakes Husbands Make After Their Wife’s Affair and How to Avoid ThemBy: Dr. Shane Perrault, PhD You just found out your girl — or worse your wife — cheated. Ouch! That cheating #@&%^ #%$@! you say, but, much to your surprise, you still love her. What now? Leave, stay, forgive, forget? Your heart was just ripped out, your sense of trust is long gone, and you are […]
- Free Couples Webinar: How to Build a Successful Business with Your SpouseWhen a husband and wife embark on a business venture together, it adds a unique dynamic to their relationship. The idea of working with your spouse seems exciting, but the reality is it can lead to great success or great failure for the business and the marriage alike. Given the incredible 50 percent divorce rate in this country, […]
- Amazing Kid CEO Teaches Your Children to be EntrepreneursIf you know anything us, you know that we love to hear about kids who are killing it with business and education. Our kids are our future, and with the state of the world today, it’s good to see that some of our seeds are growing to be dignified young men and women that will […]
- 3 Simple Tips for Investing in Your HusbandThey say that behind every great man is a great woman. I like to take it one step further and say that behind every great man is a wise woman. But I didn’t make that up. Dating all the way back to Biblical times, and specifically Proverbs 31, we see the tremendous value a wise woman […]
- 3 Ways to Be Happily Single On Purpose
Upcoming iLL Shows
Category Archives: Social Justice
Do I bottle it up & try to turn the page?
Do I write a rap & burn the stage?
How much does it cost to earn my cage?
They call me beast, cause they can’t discern my rage! Continue reading →
I am not suggesting that there will be an African exodus in my lifetime (though I would wholeheartedly support one). However, I am implying that each of us has a duty to understand the real trauma that our people are facing because of the tremendous brain drain that our continent is facing. Continue reading →
I remember being poor… Continue reading →
“Americans are very condescending when speaking to Africans…” Continue reading →
Is race something that only lives on in the minds of African-Americans? Continue reading →
Art is politics; and, it’s the weapon Kuweni Serious uses to, as they say, “fight the evil forces of apathy,” they saw plaguing Kenyan youth in the aftermath of the country’s 2007 elections. Continue reading →
I knew what a job looked like. I knew what making stuff happen looked like. I didn’t know what an educated black man in a meaningful career looked like. Continue reading →
If you haven’t heard of Nneka by now, maybe you are being intentional in making sure you don’t know what’s hot! She has traveled the globe pushing a message that cry’s for transparency, humility, and love. Check out her newest video, Stay.
In “My Soul is Heavy” Nekka takes us on a journey into the despair that her heart feels for her Nigerian people caught in the middle of the Niger Delta oil crisis.
With an entire continent’s concerns on her back, Nneka delves into the depths of Africa’s darkest realities to arise with faith, love, and hope on each of her 3 studio releases. The video “My Home” explores how her faith in God is the sustaining force that allows both her as well as millions of Africans to face the harsh circumstances the they face together.
Just in case you’ve have been sleeping under a rock; check out this link: http://illholiday.com/2010/12/15/337/.
Pray for a miracle! Avert a disaster…Save Troy Davis! Continue reading →
Here is a throwback from Mr. 3 Stax…
Being a parent isn’t easy. Its not easy when you are in a loving relationship with a soul-mate who has your back. It is especially difficult for those who are doing it by themselves. This song is dedicated to all those who give their family all that they have. I see you! We see you!
If you dig this song, click “LIKE” to let your friends know you support Single Mamma’s and Daddies too!
Janette…ikz is back with a truth that needs to be told.
When I married my wife, I had to talk to her about a deep concern I had about the whole wedding process. This concern was something that I felt we had to settle before moving forward. It wasn’t concerning the ceremony or the planning process. It wasn’t even about the guestlist or participants of the wedding. No, I wasn’t concerned about the venue or even budget (errr. I mean, what working black man aint concerned about the budget?)
Well, more than budget concerns- I needed to talk about something that was a life or death issue.
I gave this term a line of it’s own because it deserves alot of consideration when expressing what kind of LIFE I’d like to live with the love of my LIFE. This decision weighed so heavy on my heart that I needed it settled before even planning the 1st detail of the wedding. We had to be on one accord and in total agreement about this one.
Much to my surprise, my lady was right with me. She understood that our symbol of marriage could be marred by the realization that a kid was walking around in a foreign country with no arms or no LIFE.
We decided to bypass the whole Kimberly process and purchase diamond free wedding bands. Even though this didn’t sit well with friends or family who were looking for that fat rock to adorn her hand, we knew we wanted to embark on a marriage built on mutual consideration for the impact of our covenant.
5 years later, I have never regretted skipping the possibility of buying my wife a Conflict (BLOOD) Diamond.
Check out what the Nigerian Soul Superstar “Asa” had to say in verse 2 of her hit song “Fire On The Mountain”
05 Fire On The Mountain by mooney
Many people are waiting on a ‘real’ leader to step up and solve the problems we are facing. They would argue that our country is standing still, and in some cases sliding backwards because, politicians just don’t get it. Some would say that it is because most of our religious leaders are either corrupt or worse-cowards. Even other people would say that greedy businessmen are the problem.
What I believe is that the problem is me. I am the problem. Everyone like me who has passed up on an opportunity to help themselves is the problem. Anyone like me who has overlooked the opportunity to share their extra(knowledge, time, money, strength) is the problem.
The buck doesn’t stop with the politician-it stops with me. It stops with normal people. We are the answer we have been waiting for. Everyone of us who is the problem…is also THE Solution.
For the past 14 months I have been working with a community organization called Public Allies that operates with the mindset that Everybody Leads. This simply means that everyone brings something to the table. There is no such thing as an extra person. Each person has something to contribute. Most people will contribute their time, talents, and passion, if given the right opportunity and support.
Public Allies gives that support to young adults who have made up their mind that they don’t look like a leader, leadership looks like them.
Without programs like Public Allies, people keep addressing problems the same way. We look for the expert to tell us what our problem is and how they are the only one who is able to fix it for us. Its this kind of thinking that has us stuck on an escalator with no good sense to walk the rest of the way. We are so used to depending on others, that we miss the opportunity to solve our own problems.
So when you wake up and look yourself in the mirror, remember you are looking at The New Face of Leadership!