Sign Up To Get Down
Voices at Penn
iLL Days Past
- August 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (1)
- August 2014 (1)
- June 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (1)
- August 2013 (1)
- June 2013 (2)
- January 2013 (1)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (2)
- August 2012 (2)
- July 2012 (5)
- June 2012 (1)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (1)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (6)
- October 2011 (10)
- September 2011 (5)
- August 2011 (1)
- July 2011 (2)
- June 2011 (5)
- May 2011 (4)
- April 2011 (8)
- March 2011 (2)
- February 2011 (8)
- January 2011 (6)
- December 2010 (3)
- November 2010 (5)
- October 2010 (8)
- September 2010 (10)
- August 2010 (6)
- July 2010 (14)
- June 2010 (29)
- May 2010 (1)
- What it Means to Embrace a Dating Relationship Done God’s Way“I did it my way!” This is a line from a well known and well covered Frank Sinatra song “My Way.” The lyrics to the song feed into this idea that a life well lived is one where I call all the shots and, regardless of regrets, it couldn’t have been better because well, “I […]
- 3 Reasons Couples Get Divorced in January and How You Can Avoid ItNo one ever wants to imagine that the joy of saying “I do” will one day end in a trip to the courthouse with a request to call it quits. Before getting married, many couples foresee a lifetime of love peppered with challenges. In their hearts and minds, each couple is convinced there is nothing […]
- Five Lies You Tell Yourself When You Decide to CheatLies. Lies. Lies. When you make a decision to go outside of your relationship with your spouse to get a certain need met that you are convinced you can’t have met within your marriage, you usually come up with some excuse that, on the surface, appears plausible. Well, let me cut straight to it. You […]
- I Am in Love With a Married Man: How Do I Let Go?Dear Dr. Buckingham, I have been dealing with a married man for a while and I know its wrong, but we just got caught up. I want to walk away and just let it all go, but I didn’t know it would be this hard. I fell in love with him and I don’t know how […]
- 3 Easy Solutions to Cure Your Loneliness When You’re Single“I fought so hard to get this house,” she told me. “But when I come home after a long day of work and I look at the hinges hanging off the doors, I think to myself, ‘do I really have to do this thing called life on my own?!'” The words from this powerful, strong, […]
- Here’s How to Use Prayer to Resolve Conflict in Your MarriageConflict, unfortunately, doesn’t always end with peaceful solutions. When relationship conflicts can’t be resolved, there you’ll find damaged egos, hurt feelings, hateful words, and, sometimes, the end of a marriage. If you feel like your relationship is beyond the point of help, and the conflict has just demolished the communication, the trust, and every other part of your relationship, […]
- 5 Ways to Kick Financial Infidelity Out of Your Marriage in 2018Financial infidelity, like romantic infidelity, is rooted in deception, lying, and secrecy. Instead of holding your cards close to your chest when it comes to your relationship with another person, financial infidelity surfaces when you purposely mislead and withhold information about money and money matters. In December 2010, Harris Interactive fielded the Financial Deception with Partners study on behalf […]
- Are You Prepared? These 4 Things Can Make or Break Your MarriageMy 13 year old son recently asked me a question that many of you are probably familiar with. It’s the good old, “If you fill a glass half full of water, is the glass half full or half empty?” Naturally, I responded with the very wise, adult answer of, “well, it depends on your perspective.” […]
- Should I Disown My Sister For Cheating With My Husband?Dear Dr. Buckingham, My marriage has been torn apart because of the actions of two people that I love to the moon and back. My husband of 6 years slept with my younger sister. My younger sister came to stay with us after she graduated college. We allowed her to stay with us until she […]
- Girl, Wake Up! These 7 Signs Say He’s Stringing You AlongYou have off-the-charts chemistry and he says he’s never felt a connection like this with anyone else before. Maybe you’ve been dating for a while, but you don’t know where you stand with him. Does he want something serious? Is he just moving slow? Or is he stringing you along? You should be excited that […]
- What it Means to Embrace a Dating Relationship Done God’s Way
Upcoming iLL Shows
Category Archives: Spiritual
Ten years in, and a very windy road to look back on…I made the decision to return to school. It felt like a big gamble at the time. What if I wasn’t able to succeed in the class? How was I gonna pay for it? Where would I find the time between working full time and raising a family? How would others perceive me once it was obvious that I didn’t have a degree?
These questions plagued my mind, but didn’t deter me. Without answers, I looked for answers to more important questions, like: What if I made some life-changing contacts? What if I got a job making a livable wage? What if I could use a degree plus experience to do work I was really interested in? What if I could get my family off of food stamps? What if we finally had money to buy nice things outside of tax refund season? What if I became an expert at something? What if new doors of opportunity are opened up? What if…
Out of all the questions I had, I never wondered about “what if I get straight As?” What if community college landed me on the local news? What if I apply and get accepted to an Ivy League school? What if my whole family is featured on the from page of the Philadelphia newspaper and I get to do my first TED talk? I never wondered, what if I get a job at Wharton and a contract with Microsoft?
I never wondered about being scheduled to travel to Africa’s biggest music festival with a class full of some of the world’s smartest people. I never wondered how my future identity would be shaped by the things I learned about South African, Japanese, Nigerian, Zimbabwean, Ghanaian, Central American, and American history.
I never realized that I needed this experience to really see the world. Not like the television portrays the world, but really see it. I now am seeing the pressure that the “model minority” mindset places on Asian Americans. I understand the pressure of the Nigerian young adult that has to have the painful conversation with their parents that they wont be enrolling into med school, but would rather study sociology. I now understand that the gnawing feeling that I was missing out on something; was real. I have been missing out on the real world, and school is introducing me to it.
My turning started with a big decision and continues with an even bigger journey. This upcoming trip to Grahamstown is just one of the many milestones of of my life’s journey, but learning about the country, history, and context of one of Africa’s youngest democracies; is bound to make this milestone one of the most important of my life’s story.
This journey had been the most tear jerking, terrifying, confusing journey I have ever taken. It has made me question things I was sure of like destiny, purpose of faith, identity, and whether I had the capacity to make a wise decision.
It is in the middle of this chaos that I say, Thank God for allowing me to stumble upon this path. I have had to use my faith daily, ask for help, seek guidance, study my surroundings, and trust that there is no thing on earth that could seperate me from His love.
The result of all of this has been a clearer view of how God takes a flawed man and works miracles through their life. My faith has been strengthed through Him showing me impossible situations, and the working the impossible before my very eyes. I am coming to the conclusion that God has been taking care of me in spite of some seriously flawed tendencies. That gives me more joy than I can express. I am so happy to be on this journey. O how amazing God is
Any artist that is faced with a crowd like this must first acknowledge that they will not, and can not measure up to the need of the crowd. They must call for backup. They must call on the giver of the gift. So that’s just what I did. Continue reading
Shad is not a newbie to the game. Cats from Vancouver to Nairobi know his name. The hardest thing to figure out is… Why is he new to you?
…reblogged from The Kyla Show
WE SPEAK TYE TRIBBETT.. and now you have an opportunity to open up for him in concert.
Think you have what it takes to open for one of the nation’s most famed gospel artists?? Well, show us what you’ve got! The Madame Walker Theatre Center, in partnership with @WeSpeakVolumes, @TheKylaShow and AM1310 The Light, are hoping to highlight some of Indy’s best talent. Gospel artists of ALL kinds; dancers, comedians, singers, choirs, rappers, musicians, etc. are welcome to submit VIDEO ENTRIES to be considered for the top 10 …artists to open for Tye.
Videos (in .mov, mpeg4 or .avi format) should be emailed to email@example.com by August 8th. On August 10th, we will upload the top 10 video’s to this page and ask the public to vote for the 3 finalists who will open for Tye. Get your fans to vote!
1. Artists must be over 8 years of age.
2. Artists must submit a BRIEF bio and contact information with video.
3. Top 3 performers must perform to track or acoustic set. We cannot accommodate live bands.
4. Top 10 finalists must participate in promotion of contest and encourage voting.
*Up to 5 members of each group (of the top 3) will gain free entry into the concert.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on the concert visit www.walkertheatre.com.
Malice is best known for his part in the critically acclaimed hip-hop duo Clipse. Their song ‘Grindin’ was one of the most popular radio hits of its time. This song embodied the message that the group was famous for. Even though Clipse was well known for drug dealer anthems, something else had been troubling Malice. He had long felt a tugging at his heart to go in a different direction. Even though he ignored it at first. It never stopped.
Wreched, Pitiful, Poor, Blind and Naked is a story of Tragedy, Transformation, and Redemption! I am so happy to see that his conversion experience has led him to reflect and share with the world what happened to him. Unlike many who have a conversion experience, he didn’t start a church or health and wealth ministry. He wrote a telling biopic of the transformation that has totally changed his life. It is clear, that all of the fame and money that accompanied Malice’s career, didn’t equal happiness or fulfillment.