Sign Up To Get Down
Voices at Penn
iLL Days Past
- August 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (1)
- August 2014 (1)
- June 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (1)
- August 2013 (1)
- June 2013 (2)
- January 2013 (1)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (2)
- August 2012 (2)
- July 2012 (5)
- June 2012 (1)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (1)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (6)
- October 2011 (10)
- September 2011 (5)
- August 2011 (2)
- July 2011 (2)
- June 2011 (5)
- May 2011 (4)
- April 2011 (8)
- March 2011 (2)
- February 2011 (8)
- January 2011 (6)
- December 2010 (3)
- November 2010 (5)
- October 2010 (9)
- September 2010 (10)
- August 2010 (6)
- July 2010 (14)
- June 2010 (29)
- May 2010 (1)
- Healthy Black Marriages Do ExistI stumbled across a Facebook post a couple of weeks ago and found the topic so interesting I had to write about it. The post was in response to all the praise pouring in for rap’s new super couple, Remy Ma and Papoose. It questioned why black folks were acting like we had never seen […]
- Here’s What Would Happen If Couples Just Learned to CompromiseI recently had a client, who was afraid to get into a relationship, say, “I just don’t want to lose myself in a relationship.” Well of course I peeled that onion back and discovered that the core of the issue was that my client didn’t realize that compromising isn’t the same thing as settling. Why […]
- What Ingredients Are Needed to Create a Thriving and Fruitful Marriage?Dear Dr. Buckingham, I am a 28-year-old single male, but I recently proposed to my girl. I want to get married fairly soon. I have been following you and you often talk about unconditional love in your articles. I know that love is needed to develop and sustain a marriage, but I am pretty sure […]
- Stop Losing Money: Here’s Why You Should Get Help With Your TaxesAccording to Benjamin Franklin, there are only two things certain in life: death and taxes. Unfortunately, this year’s April 18th tax deadline is fast approaching. With a tax code that is 74,608 pages long and changes being made yearly, it’s almost impossible for an individual to be aware of all the tax credits or deductions […]
- 5 Important Things Women Often Overlook Because They’re in LOVEI love my husband. I’ve known him for 20 years and we’ve been married for over 8 years. We have two kids together and a third on the way. Our lives aren’t perfect, but we certainly love what we have built. We’ve been blessed. But can I tell you a secret? My love for him […]
- 3 Things Women Hear When He Says, “We’re Just Friends” that Lead to HeartbreakYou are seriously dating a man (at least you think it’s serious because you are giving him all of your time), but he tells you that you are just friends. What does this mean? Most importantly, what do you hear when he says this? (READ: What a Man Really Means When He Says He Just Wants […]
- The Very First Thing You Should Do When You Want to Improve Communication with Your SpouseThe one thing that people often overlook, when they are trying to improve communication with their spouse, is some critical but necessary self-reflection. You see, when you are lacking in communication skills with your spouse, often times, its because the communication patterns, that were useful at one point in your life, are now outdated and just […]
- Step Family Life: 5 Very Real Concerns of a Biological MotherWhen my husband proposed to me, I was elated. He was finally going to put a ring on it after six months of dating. This was in 1999, so I realize this may seem odd. However, I knew in my heart that he was my husband and I told him this. I knew in my […]
- 5 Signs Your Marriage is Going to Be OKHave you ever gotten to a point in your marriage where you thought you and your spouse would never overcome a certain situation? So many marriages reach a period of time where the couple may question everything about their union. Stress, disagreements and just life can easily take us to a negative space where we […]
- 4 Ways to Prevent Emotional Baggage From Ruining Your New RelationshipsInitially when we meet people we meet their representative- the perfect, good behavior version of themselves. But, at what point do you meet the real person? As the relationship is growing towards monogamy and possibly marriage, when are the masks removed, allowing full disclosure to come into play? When do you meet, see and/or discuss […]
- Healthy Black Marriages Do Exist
Upcoming iLL Shows
Tag Archives: Blue Moon Sunday
Any artist that is faced with a crowd like this must first acknowledge that they will not, and can not measure up to the need of the crowd. They must call for backup. They must call on the giver of the gift. So that’s just what I did. Continue reading
If you know anything about today’s soul music scene, you must know about Khari Lemuel!! He is the embodiment of soul meets spoken word. Khari is a singer, composer, writer, and classically trained cellist. Trained in 8 different instruments, he has been playing cello professionally since the age of 3. Both Oprah and Good Morning America’s Charles Gibson sing his Praises.
This Sunday you can experience Khari LIVE at Indianapolis’ Premier Poetry/Jazz Set, Blue Moon Sunday.
Hailing from the Windy City, Khari, brings a style and flavor that can only be rivaled by the greats. Even though he is well under 40, his style and flavor remind you of something mama ‘anem used to listen to. So this Sunday is the Sunday to grab your date and prepare to do some serious chillin.
If you are an artist, you can also share at Blue Moon Sunday. The open mic is always one of the high points of the night. With performances spanning the genres of poetry, jazz, hip hop, comedy and gospel; Blue Moon’s stage is one of the most welcoming stages you’ll find anywhere.
Our host is the ever stylish Tasha Jones and the house band is Diverse Fragments Featuring Michael Houston.
Seeya Sunday at 7pm at the Madame Walker Theatre!
Come and enjoy tunes by our feature: Kenye Fudiyah
K.Fudiyah is a Midwestern artist whose family is from Sierra Leone, West Africa. Since the age of 5, K. Has been performing music, starting in church and school. Her greatest musical influence is the late great Bob Marley. “I respect his message and his lyrics are jam packed with words of wisdom.” K.’s personal sound is a unique blend of Hip Hop, Reggae and Soul. She writes her own songs and while she enjoys recording, she becomes alive on stage. Most recently K.Fudiyah has been performing at various venues in her home state of Indiana, while completing her BS Degree at Indiana State University, and awaiting opportunities to perform around the nation and worldwide. Her live show includes covers from R&B and soul greats as well as her own music which exudes Hip Hop and her love for the Motherland. “When people see me perform, I want them to walk away feeling like they just ate real good.” Come see her LIVE at Blue Moon Sunday.
Check out what KirkPatrick has to say about Blue Moon Sunday….
This Sunday will be a night to remember. Tasha Jones returns home, hot off the road from the NBA AllStar Games, to host a night to be remembered! Michael Houston and Diverse Fragments will groove you into the mood to relax your soul as Dj Lou Bey spins your troubles away. Got Stress- Feel Blessed- or just wanna show off how well you dress? This is the place, and our mic is open. Come and share your flavor and peep the vibes of some of the most talented poets, rappers, singers, and musicians. Free Expression, open Dialogue, That Leads To Discussion.
$5 Dollaz gets you in all night long. Jiallo’s African Caribbean Cuisine is ready to battle the most selective taste buds in a duel of I Bet I Can Make You Smile. So, bring your frown…an I bet you they turn it upside down.
Once Every Blue Moon there comes an event that you just can’t miss. You know it when it comes. It’s different than what you are used to. It’s “special”.
Once Every Blue Moon you meet someone special who makes you wanna do things you have never done before.
Once Every Blue Moon you find an artist that no one knows about, but is better; more pure, more sincere, and more talented than any art you’ve ever experienced.
Once Every Blue Moon there comes an event that can not be imitated. It’s Unique. It’s Blue Moon!
Tasha Jones could be nominated for a GRAMMY! That’s right the prolific writer, performer, model and inspirational speaker- Tasha Jones, is being considered for the most prestigious award given to recording artists.
All members of NARAS can help her make the short list. The project up for consideration is her recording “Poems, Lyrics & Reservations” under the Spoken Word Category.
Besides traveling the country spreading inspiration in words; Tasha is gearing up to host the return of one of her hometown’s most successful open mic events, Blue Moon Sunday. In it’s heyday, (2004-2006) Blue Moon Sunday was a cultural magnet for anyone in the Region thirsting for organic creativity. Tasha was a regular contributor to the open mic as well as one of the show’s biggest draws as a feature performer. Look for her January 9, 2011 as she and some of the areas dopest performers bring Indiana’s most infamous open mic event to the Historical Madame Walker Theatre.
Blue Moon Sunday will also feature: iLL Holiday, Dj Lou Bey, The Michael Houston Band, and the dopest artists, performers, and poets in the Midwest.